Thursday, January 3, 2008

On the Other Side of the World Again!

So, I’ve gone and traveled to the other side of the world again and I don’t know if it’s quite hit me yet.

I am currently in Incheon, South Korea after about 24 hours of travel. I am with my lovely friend and co-teacher Sarah and we have settled into our 2-bedroom apartment quite nicely. I’ll try to fill you in.

Our flight from SFO to LAX was supposed to leave at 7:53AM, but of course, it was delatyed to leave at about 9:00AM. (But, gosh it was nice to wake up at 4:45AM anyways! Thank you for the ride Robin!) Our connection flight to Seoul was to leave at 11:05AM and when we arrived at about 10:00AM we were high-tailing it from the domestic terminal to the international terminal, on to the international security line (which was approximately the length of a football field). We were tricky teachers and talked to the right folks to get us through that awful line quickly and without difficulty and we made it on our flight.


I give props to Korean Air and at this point, highly recommend them. We had the in-seat TVs with more movies than you could ever watch, enough legroom, yummy food, and a little zippered bag with socks, a toothbrush, and a fabulously turquoise eye mask. Though we were exhausted from our flight, we still had much traveling to do and were met outside by Alex, our recruiter for the winter camp (did I mention why I went to South Korea in the first place?). He bought us some water and snacks and set us neatly on a public bus for a 2-hour ride to Inha University.
Here's one of the sights from the bus!


When we got to the university, we were pleasantly met by Kate (the camp director or something, I think) who helped us get to our apartment. We were led to our fifth floor two bedroom apartment. The apartment is hooked up with everything one could want to live comfortably for a month. The floors are heated, which I can’t tell you enough how happy I am about that. We have a full kitchen, comfortable furniture, full internet access, and immaculate cleanliness. We even have a lovely patio that looks out upon all of Incheon’s loveliness.
Here's the view from our living room!


...and our fabulous kitchen!


...and my room of course!


Getting breakfast this morning was an adventure as I guess most stores and restaurants in South Korea open midday and close late and breakfast usually looks the same as dinner. I did run into a Caucasian as I was exiting the building in search for some grub who led me to my free breakfast. I can’t tell you it was very nutritious, but it was really sweet and awkward: a potato salad sandwich with a side of some meatballs of some sort.

When Sarah awoke, we walked into town only to find many closed stores and restaurants, but an open corner market where we bought eggs and Korean style “Cup O’ Noodles”. Needless to say, I had a “Cup O’ Noodles” with an egg cracked into it… yum.

Now, I sit back and try to get over jetlag while I wonder about what this “winter camp” thing will bring. I guess you will find out as I do, one day at a time.

1 comment:

andrealacanela said...

Hi El!
It's Mow Mow.
Love the site. Always want more pics.
You aren't freezing your toes with a heated floor.
Good luck.
I'm gonna check out more of your site.
Love Ya